Jun Yoshino, MD, PhD
Research Assistant Professor of Medicine
Internal Medicine - Nutritional Sciences
Our laboratory studies the importance of adipose tissue in regulating the whole body glucose and lipid metabolism both in humans and rodents. To this end, we are conducting a translational research project involving studies in cell culture, genetic mouse models, and human subjects. We are particular interested in the functional role of adipose tissue NAD (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide) and clock genes in the pathophysiology of insulin resistance, a significant risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Ultimately we would like to translate our experimental findings into clinical investigation and develop new effective “mechanism-based” intervention against type 2 diabetes.
Center for Human Nutrition
660 S. Euclid Ave., Campus Box 8031
St. Louis, MO 63110
Phone (314) 362-8119
Fax (314) 362-8230
Publications - Selected Recent Publications:
1. Ramsey KM*, Yoshino J*, Brace CS*, Abrassart D, Kobayashi Y, Marcheva B, et al. Circadian clock feedback cycle through NAMPT-mediated NAD+ biosynthesis. Science. 2009;324(5927):651. *equally contributing authors
2. Yoshino J, Imai S. A clock ticks in pancreatic beta cells. Cell Metab. 2010;12(2):107.
3. Olesen UH, Petersen JG, Garten A, Kiess W, Yoshino J, Imai S, et al. Target enzyme mutations are the molecular basis for resistance towards pharmacological inhibition of nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase. BMC Cancer. 2010;10:677.
4. Inoue T, Takenaka T, Hayashi M, Monkawa T, Yoshino J, Shimoda K, et al. Fibroblast expression of an IkappaB dominant-negative transgene attenuates renal fibrosis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2010;21(12):2047.
5. Yoshino J, Mills KF, Yoon MJ, Imai S. Nicotinamide mononucleotide, a key NAD(+) intermediate, treats the pathophysiology of diet- and age-induced diabetes in mice. Cell Metab. 2011;14(4):528.
6. Yoshino J, Imai S. Mitochondrial SIRT3: a new potential therapeutic target for metabolic syndrome. Mol Cell. 2011;44(2):170.
7. Yoshino J, Conte C, Fontana L, Mittendorfer B, Imai S, Schechtman KB, et al. Resveratrol supplementation does not improve metabolic function in nonobese women with normal glucose tolerance. Cell Metab. 2012;16(5):658.
8. Funai K, Song H, Yin L, Lodhi IJ, Wei X, Yoshino J, et al. Muscle lipogenesis balances insulin sensitivity and strength through calcium signaling. J Clin Invest. 2013;123(3):1229.
9. Yoshino J, Klein S. A novel link between circadian clocks and adipose tissue energy metabolism. Diabetes. 2013;62(7):2175.
10. Yoshino J, Imai S. Accurate measurement of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) with high-performance liquid chromatography. Methods Mol Biol. In press.
11. Imai S, Yoshino J. The importance of NAMPT/NAD/SIRT1 in the systemic regulation of metabolism and ageing. Diabetes Obes Metab. In press.